Mighty Clouds of Joy celebrate 45 years with new album
Live Project to be Recorded in Houston on December 1st
Nashville, TN – Three-time Grammy Award-winning gospel group The Mighty Clouds of Joy are celebrating 45 years of creating legendary gospel music with their new album from EMI Gospel. The group will be recording the live project during a special concert at The Fountain of Praise Hillcroft Worship Center in Houston , Texas , on December 1. The concert is free and open to the public and will kick off at 7 p.m. CST.
The new album will mark the Mighty Clouds of Joy's 45 th anniversary and is their first project from EMI Gospel. The group signed with the label earlier this year and unveiled plans for the album during EMI Gospel's showcase at the 2004 Gospel Music Workshop of America (GMWA) convention. The album, produced by renowned producer Sanchez Harley (Yolanda Adams, Kirk Franklin, Shirley Caesar, RiZen), is slated to release on April 12, 2005.
“There are a lot of different styles that have come together over the years to create what people know as the ‘trademark' Clouds sound, and we want to hit on a lot of those high spots on this album,” says Mighty Clouds of Joy founding member Joe Ligon. “Sanchez, myself, and the entire group, as well as EMI Gospel…we are all absolutely intent on making this the definitive Mighty Clouds of Joy album to date.”
The Mighty Clouds of Joy have been molding gospel music since the late 1950s and is a pioneering force behind many of the changes that the genre has gone through over the years. They were the first gospel group to perform on “Soul Train,” and were the first gospel quartet to use a full rhythm section and to incorporate choreography into their performances. Throughout their career, the group has performed at such notable venues as the White House, Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden , Radio City Music Hall , and the Apollo Theatre and has appeared on countless television programs including the Grammy Awards.
Mighty Clouds of Joy founding members Ligon and Richard Wallace along with long-time members Mike Cook, Ron Staples and Johnny Valentine are far from retiring. With over 35 albums under their belt, the group is one of the longest-standing gospel groups and is still impacting gospel music today.
- Marvin Sapp “Thirsty” In Stores Now!
- Maharold Peoples, Jr. & Tribe of Praise Releases New CD!
- New T-Bone Release Hot Off The Grill September 25
- Rev. Milton Biggham & The Georgia Mass Choir Poised To “Tell It”
- HIP Hop Gospel Artist jaMaL Prepares To Release His Debut Single “My Best Days”
- Former NFL Players to Release Warriors Worshippers
Also on GCHeadlines
- ANNOUNCING: New Gospel Talent Booking Agency Now Open for Business!
- GRAMMY WINNER MICHELLE WILLIAMS RELEASES HIGHLY ANTICIPATED NEW ALBUM â€śJOURNEY TO FREEDOMâ€ť TO #1
- Recap of 2014 Allstate Gospel SuperFest Battle of the Bands in tour at Washington, DC auditions
- The Follow Tour featuring ShopĂ©, Canon, Json, S.O, Julien & Dj Lagit